If you read my post on Losing Weight with the EGCG in Green Tea then you’ll know that I said not to rely on green tea for any significant weight loss but to still drink it for its many health benefits and its high anti-oxidant content.
For most food or beverages I usually say “Have it for your health not for the number of the scale”. There really is no true diet or weight loss food. Same applies to green tea. As promised at the end of my last article I am posting more about green tea.
5 Tips to get the most nutritional benefit from your Green Tea
- Drink it more often. If you are only drinking green tea on occasion you could be missing out on the daily antioxidant boost you would be getting from drinking 1-2 cups/day.
- Choose a quality tea. Tea bags are okay but loose leaf teas tend to be a better quality (I can’t say this across the board though). Either way stick with the real deal vs processed powders or pre-prepared bottled versions.
- Brew it at the right temperature. Heat your water until it boils, remove from heat, wait a few seconds to a minute for it to cool a bit, then add your tea bag or loose leaf tea. To be more specific steep your green tea at about 175 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brew it for the right time. Brew your tea for 3-4 minutes to get the most out of the tea bag. You can brew less if you want a lighter flavor. Be sure not to over brew or you will end up with a bitter tea.
- Avoid adding milk. The protein casein in milk may bind with the catechins in green tea making them harder for your body to absorb. However, I do want to mention I am a huge fan of enjoying food and minimizing food rules. If you really enjoy milk in your tea then go for it, especially if it will make you more likely to drink it.
Green tea is very healthy and I happen to enjoy the taste of it just as it is. But many people don’t drink it because they simply don’t like it. Or they have to doctor it up with too much sugar or additives that they probably aren’t really benefitting. Unless there is a significant medical reason, I don’t think we should force ourselves to consume anything on a regular basis if we really don’t like it. That is why I have developed some delicious Green tea ideas and a recipe below:
Making Green Tea Taste Good
- Be sure not to over steep your tea or you will get a bitter tea. Remember, suggested brew time is 3-4 minutes. Less if the flavor is too strong for you. More than that and it will be bitter.
- If you can’t handle tea without a little sweet then simply try to make it less sweet by using less sweetener, whatever that may be. So in other words don’t go cold turkey and just cut out the sugar, just try to use less.
- Add a splash of juice to your brewing water to give it a little sweetness.
- Try a flavored green tea
- Add fresh mint. This is one of my favorite! Especially when I am going to turn it into iced green tea. It takes the bitter edge off of the tea and gives it a slightly sweet and very refreshing flavor. My kids beg me for it.
Spiced Apple Green Tea
- 2 apples, cored and cut in thin wedges. (Sour varieties work best such as granny smith)
- 3 lemon slices
- 2 orange slices
- 4 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 cups water
- 2-4 green tea bags
Put all ingredients, except tea bags, into a crock-pot and cook on high for a few hours. This will also make your house smell warm and inviting. Turn the heat to low. Add the tea bags and allow to steep for 3-4 minutes. Strain (carefully!) into a pitcher or tea pot and serve hot.
Chef’s Tips: Mix things up and use this combination with original tea, black tea, white tea, or even herbal teas. I even like to swap the spices for some fresh mint.
If you are looking for a non-diet approach to living in a body you love without constantly worrying about what you eat then contact me at email@example.com or Schedule a Free Empowered Eating Session Today!
Latest posts by Dina Garcia, RD, LDN (see all)
- Start your day right with these 7 brilliant healthy breakfast plans - July 24, 2019
- Are you struggling to get a beach body before your vacation? - June 27, 2019
- Getting Started with Mindful Eating - March 3, 2019
ENJOY THIS POST?
Don't miss out on the next one, subscribe today!