Who doesn’t love a good smoothie? They taste good and are a great way to get in more fruits and veggies. Unfortunately, depending on how you make them or where you buy them from, they can be chock-full of sugar and calories too. The recipe I’m about to share does contribute some sugar but it is also balanced with fiber, protein and fat. In addition to being balanced it is packed full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, protein, gut boosting probiotics, and gut cleaning fiber. So it’s right in line with my core nutrition goals of Practical, D-lish, Balanced and Filling.
Super Smoothie Recipe
- 1 Cup low-fat Kefir or Yogurt
- 1 Cup any fruit or ½ banana, fresh or frozen fruits will work
- 1-2 Cups tightly packed veggies (spinach works great! Blends well and you can’t taste it)
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- Whey protein powder with about 100 calories and ≥ 15 grams of protein or 3 cooked egg whites
- Ice and water for desired consistency (I put about 3 ice cubes in mine but it varies based on which fruits & veggies you choose and if they are fresh or frozen)
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Helpful tips: You must pre-grind the flax seed. I either buy them ground or grind a bunch at once and store them in an airtight container in the freezer. Once they are ground they need to be stored this way since opening them up makes the healthy fat in them oxidize faster. If you add them in whole the body can’t digest them well enough to get all the benefits. So yes, they need to be pre-ground.
I hope you enjoy and have fun experimenting with different flavor combinations. Share your favorite combinations in the comments below.
Latest posts by Dina Garcia, RD, LDN (see all)
- Low Sodium Seasoning Salt that Actually Tastes Good - October 24, 2017
- What Is Mindful Eating? - October 11, 2017
- 3 Simple Strategies to Crush Cravings - June 8, 2016