Most everyone knows that drinking water is healthy. Now I’m going to ask you to actually do it. Drink at least 3 liters (about 13 cups) of calorie free fluid per day if you are male and 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) if you are female. While this is in line with the Institute of Medicine’s recommendations for fluid intake, it is still controversial if we actually NEED that much fluid. However, drinking that much can help ward off hunger. Often times our body mistakes thirst for hunger, so being well hydrated is key to managing our calorie intake. It is also good to aim high in case we fall short for the day. Being dehydrated can cause headaches, lightheadedness and nausea. Staying hydrated is also important by aiding our liver and kidneys to detoxify our bodies. If drinking 2-3 liters per day of straight water is too boring for you try mixing in some of these other calorie-free beverages.
- Club Soda or Seltzer Water, squeeze in a lemon wedge for the perfect combination of bubble and tang.
- 1-2 cups of coffee/day
- Iced or hot tea. If you want less caffeine and more antioxidants go for green or white tea instead of black tea.
- If you must have something sweet you could opt for diet soda or a sugar-free lemonade, however I encourage limiting or totally avoiding artificially sweetened beverages. So instead check out the bottom of this article for 3 Fun Refreshing Drinks
Shall I Say CHEERS!!!!
Image courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net/ by: Theeradech Sanin
Latest posts by Dina Garcia, RD, LDN (see all)
- Overcome Overeating Holiday Challenge - November 2, 2019
- 4 Tricks To Avoid Overeating Halloween Candy - October 18, 2019
- Drink Green Tea for the Health of It, and How to Make it Taste Better not Bitter - September 27, 2019
ENJOY THIS POST?
Don't miss out on the next one, subscribe today!