In a small bowl, combine 3T iodized salt of choice, 3T potassium chloride, 1.5T garlic powder, 1.5T onion powder, 1T chili powder, 1T finely ground pepper, 1T turmeric, 2t ground ginger, 1t paprika, 1t celery powder, 1t ground mustard, 1t ground cumin. Mix well. Pour the blend into an empty salt or seasoning shaker to store.
When you cook mostly from scratch like I do, dishes often need a dose of flavor. Sometimes, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, and/or herbs will do the trick. But sometimes, you just need to add salt to enhance the flavor.
One of my favorite tricks to lower the salt in recipes is to use a combination of regular salt (AKA sodium chloride) and No Salt (AKA potassium chloride
Advantages Of Using Potassium Chloride
- It has a salty flavor but doesn’t contain sodium.
- It helps increase your intake of potassium, a nutrient many people lack.
- It helps counteract the effects of sodium.
It’s pretty much an all-around win. But if you’re on a potassium restriction for medical reasons. avoid using potassium chloride as a salt replacement.
How To Lower Sodium Intake
Using a mixture of sodium and potassium is one way to lower sodium intake, but I still encourage people to try to get used to eating food that isn’t too salty. I promise, if you cut back, over time, your taste buds will adjust.
To cut salt even further and add a depth of flavor, you can dilute your salt with other herbs and spices.
Make Your Own Seasoning Salt
Given here is a recipe to make your own seasoning salt at home. It has over 75% less sodium than traditional table salt, sea salt, or Himalayan salt.
- 3 tbsp salt of your choice (I personally prefer an iodized salt since salt is the primary source of iodine in most people’s diet.)
- 3 tbsp potassium chloride
- 1 ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp finely ground pepper
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp celery powder
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Put all the ingredients in an empty salt or seasoning shaker.
- Stir until well mixed.
You can get creative and find
- Online Private Yoga For Mind Body Health - March 28, 2020
- 10 Lockdown Friendly Foods to Strengthen Your Immune System - March 26, 2020
- COVID-19: Can We “Flatten the Curve” by Boosting Our Immune System? - March 21, 2020
ENJOY THIS POST?
Don't miss out on the next one, subscribe today!